It’s a blurry picture, but these two fools are my parents. My mom is 44 and my dad’s 47. I’m twenty, and my brother is 24, so a lot of people find it hard to believe that they’re not a bit older.
She used to be a graffiti artist, he used to be a DJ. She gave me my artistic talent, and he gave me my love for music. They met at a party her friend Scotty was throwing, where he was helping with the music. That was June 13th. She was 18, he was 21. He hit on her, and she laughed it off but ending up hanging out with him the rest of the night. A week after meeting (and a week full of dates), he told her he wanted to marry her. She said yes, and when I ask her why she says “It just felt right, I went with my heart.” They met with my grandmother and told her about their plans 26 years ago today. A year after they met, a Friday the 13th, they got married. She was 19, he was 22. A lot of people thought they wouldn’t last, two stupid broke kids who were young and naive. But my parents are still together, and still as disgustingly (to me, at least) cutesy and happy as they’ve ever been. They both worked hard, moved out of poverty, and gave me and my brother a really awesome childhood along the way.
My father says the reason that their love works is because they choose to love each other. “You can fall in love with anyone, but when you see things you don’t like, you get hurt. I love your mother because I take her for who she is as a person , the good and the bad. I love everything about her. I make an active choice to love her, to be good to her and to you and your brother because you love me even though I’m a dumbass at times. And that’s what love really is, an active choice to do right by people you care about. ” That’s what my dad says. My mom tells me, “You’re a moron, but you’ll find out that there’s some moron out there for you too. Then at least you’ll have someone to be a dweeb with.” …thanks?
They’re loud-mouthed and bad-humored buttheads, but they gave me a lot of hope growing up that love did in fact exist. I still believe it does. I’m lucky to have them as parents, and as inspiration not only in love, but in hard work and willpower. I’m happy for them. Don’t tell them that.
- alexlovescatsa likes this
- brushthething reblogged this from spike-spiegel
- dex-starr likes this
- blackanddivine likes this
- whatwesawfromcheapseats likes this
- joshue likes this
- abbyordonez reblogged this from spike-spiegel
- abbyordonez likes this
- heroes-or-victims likes this
- spike-spiegel reblogged this from vvvva and added:
- papikola likes this
- unit04-archive likes this
- theswimmingbird said:im almost crying this is really adorable i want to hug them
- theswimmingbird likes this
- vvvva reblogged this from lottidots
- lottidots reblogged this from spike-spiegel
- princeofdrunk said:;~~~; it’s too beautiful of a story. all the feels and cries. omg pls they are so cute. god bless their love story
- princeofdrunk likes this
- oneokrydon said:This made me smile.
- oneokrydon likes this
- nyx-the-witch likes this
- veezyduzit likes this
- trizzopi likes this